Pre-Hike 02/28/2015

I have an important update: I pushed forward my start date to March 7th.

I was going back and forth on this is my mind and in discussion with my dad, but I am unwilling to reduce my hike time to any less than 2 months.  The dilemma was that if I started March 1st, I would start alone in the cold rain as it is predicted to rain most of next week.  If I wait a week I can start with my dad in better weather.  The area also just got hit with a major winter storm that dropped from 6-8 inches of snow.  Granted, the snow is all but gone in the lower areas, however along with a week of rain, the first week of the hike was shaping up to look more like a mud run.  I am prepared for rain and cold, however it would be nice to break into the hike with better weather.

This morning I discussed it with the interested parties involved and worked out that I will be able to extend the hike, as needed, in order to get my full 2 months.  I am really eager to get on the trail, but this truly is the smarter course of action.  On the bright side, I have more time to figure this blog out and I will definitely post a gear video before I leave.  I will better organize my resupply boxes (thank you Shari for offering to handle shipping those!) and test out some more ideas I have for various dehydrated foods and boiling water.  🙂  I can hardly wait!

-Gypsy

 

2 thoughts on “Pre-Hike 02/28/2015”

  1. Sounds like a good idea…Roanoke has received around 15 inches over the last week or so. I am sure the Smokies has a lot. We are supposed to get freezing rain tomorrow, as well.
    Do you need any other help with mailing stuff to you?

  2. Hmm…. I think Shari has it handled, but we are both newbies on this process. Weren’t you handling some or all of that for your friend, Dale, last year? Did you find that it went smoothly?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *